Will Ferrell & Adam McKay talk about how Paris Hilton changed politics forever,... more »
Will Ferrell & Adam McKay talk about how Paris Hilton changed politics forever, the quirky birth of 'Between Two Ferns' and how the stars aligned against Prop 8 in a musical headlined by Jack Black. « less
(soft jazz music)
- You know you don't have to do that, right?
You don't have to eat a Totino's Pizza Roll
with a knife and fork.
- You also, you know,
don't have to walk across the freeway if you don't want to.
- No, you don't.
- Yeah, that supports my side
of what we're
(synth pop music)
The year was 2008.
A little man by the name of Ozzy Osbourne
had made some noise with a song called Crazy Train.
- [Will] And the Berlin Wall came tumblin' down.
- Funny or Die was in year two,
and things were starting to heat up.
With a little video with Paris Hilton
responding to John McCain.
After that video aired the McCain campaign
actually responded to Funny or Die's video.
That's actually serious, that really did happen.
- Things got topical.
Between Two Ferns starring Zach Galifianakis
and his, dare I say, quirky interview style.
- And then 2002 I actually made my way into the states.
- After 9/11.
- [Crowd Recording] Booo!
- Let's just say Zach Galifianakis, bit of an odd duck.
Weird, bushy beard.
Could stand to lose a few lbs if
you know what I mean.
- If you ask me.
- Here in California people were very upset
with a ballot initiative called Prop. 8,
which we responded to with Prop. 8- The Musical.
- Jack Black and a star-studded cast sang out
doing an incredible music number
letting people know that Californians
stand with people's choices, their lifestyles,
their sexual preferences, their religious preferences.
- Zach Galifianakis was not in that video.
- We made an executive decision on the Prop. 8 video,
no Zach Galifianakis.
We had had enough of his little games.
- Of his kindergarten shenanigans.
- And while in 2008 the dance
The Bump was climbing the charts,
there was another video called Drunk History,
created by Derek Waters,
that was becoming incredibly popular on Funny or Die.
And it would eventually launch a popular TV show
on Comedy Central.
- Of the same name.
- Okay, you don't need to say that.
And you come in so hot off what I say
that it like startles me.
- I know but I just get exuberant.
- You know what, doesn't matter.
Roll the clip.
- We're not doing rolled clips.
They're just cutting in stuff with us.
- Then that's fine.
- So roll clip doesn't
do it anything.