Blazed Book Reviews: Nate Dern Is Not Quite A Genius
Jon Gabrus combines his love of smoking weed with his second favorite past time, reviewing books! In this episode of Blazed Book Reviews he sits down with "The Dead Moms Club" author Kate Spencer and attempts to discuss her book while dealing with a serious case of the munchies.
- March 13, 2018
- 140k Views
DIRECTOR/WRITER/CREATOR: Nate Dern
DIRECTOR/DP: Matthew Sweeney
PRODUCER: Hans Sahni
PRODUCER: Nikil Shyam Sunder
PRODUCER: Michael Burke
CAM OP: Ryan Bender
CAM OP/GAFFER: Matt Krueger
KEY GRIP: Nate Cornett
PRODUCTION DESIGNER: Ashley Swanson
ART DIRECTOR: Andy Bland
ART ASST: Danielle Aziz
HMU: Erin Blinn
STYLIST: Jordy Scheinberg
SOUND MIXER: Garret Barnet
SET PA: Forrest Wheeler
POST PRODUCER: Alex Parks
EDITOR: Danielle Billeaux
GFX: Conor Barron & Joe Humpay
ADDITIONAL WRITING: Ben Wietmarschen & Pat O'Brien
March 13, 2018
- [Voice] Ga deesh!
- Mahalo, book nerds.
My name is Jon Gabrus,
but please call me Gabrus.
And this is Blazed Book Reviews.
(classical music and bong rip)
Joining me today on BBR is author Kate Spencer.
She wrote a book called Dead Moms Club.
Now Kate, as someone who has a dead dad,
should I not have read this book?
'Cause I got sad at times.
- I think the concept of grief is universal.
So if you have a dead anybody or even if you've just
experienced any sort of sadness, you can read it.
- Cause I laughed at times too.
- And then I felt like a sicko.
Laughin's at dead people.
- It's not making fun of dead people.
It's kind of finding the humor in our most sad moments.
Which I'm sure you probably
- Whoa, sorry this one's laced.
Someone's trying to kill me like Walter White.
- That sounds like you might just be high
and feeling paranoid.
- You're filming this.
So Kate, I'm sure you had to tap into some
not so happy memories while writing this book.
My question for you is what was the hardest part
personally about writing the book?
- You know it was a really emotional experience
- Hey, sorry about that, I just have a Postmates order
- You can keep going, Kate.
Yeah that's me
- [Kate] Okay, um
- You got that fire sauce in here
- [Delivery Guy] Yeah I got all the sauces
- [Kate] It was a really emotional experience
- [Delivery Guy] Mild, hot, spicy
- [Jon] Oh awesome
- [Kate] I definitely cried
while writing the book a lot.
- [Delivery Guy] What's this whole
- [Jon] Oh, it's a show called Blazed Book Reviews
- [Kate] Pulling from watching my mom on her deathbed.
- I interview people who, this is Kate.
- [Delivery Guy] Oh no way
- [Delivery Guy] Hey, how's it going?
- Nice to meet you.
- Awesome, this is a book review right?
- Yeah, more or less.
So you're saying, what was it, the hardest part?
- Writing about my mom on her death bed
was particularly hard, she died very quickly of cancer.
- I'm sorry a crumb of meat just fell
off your beard back into the taco.
- Can we do her answer again?
She kinda stumbled on a couple of words.
(bell rings) (two crunches)
- So according to Tom Hanks, there's no crying in baseball.
Did you ever consider trying baseball for grief?
Now, it's time for weed pairings.
You know how some people pair wine with food?
Well, I pair weed strains with books.
Kate Spencer's The Dead Moms Club.
I highly recommend pairing it with
a mind heavy upper sativa.
For example, my little vape pen is chock full of Jack Herer.
One of my favorite strains for getting things done.
- It's like you just vaped on a very light tampon.
- Yes, it's a low flow day for Uncle Jon over here.
Now, I'm ready to read.
- Are you actually
- Are you actually reading it?
- Oh, uh-huh!
Spoiler alert, the mom dies.
That's so fucked up, I'm sorry.
Spoiler alert, the mom dies. It happens pretty early.
- Are you just reading a blank page?
- No, I'm reading the last paragraph of your book.
I was just trying to read it
cause I was gonna make a joke about it.
But I started getting choked up reading the last paragraph.
- That's really nice.
- When I'm stoned, I'm pretty close to just
fucking cracking up laughterwise.
I'm also pretty close to just bawling
my fucking eyes out at any moment.
- I think it's really important that we all emote,
and if something moves us we should let it.
- Hit me with the close-up, watch this.
(somber piano music)
- [Kate] Are you crying?
Looks like you're holding it.
- It's coming, it's fine, it's fine.
- Don't hurt yourself, honestly.
Please don't hurt yourself.
- Yeah, it's just not happening.
- It's okay, you don't
- I'm sorry.
- Not everyone's gonna cry.
- Is there anything that you do now that makes you cry?
And you're not allowed to say think of your dead mom.
- That's an obvious answer.
So Kate, where can we buy your book?
- You can buy it at Amazon
- I'm sorry actually we're out of time.
BBR will BRB,
- Are we done?
- I gotta blast a shit.
- Are we done?
- I didn't make it.
- Did you?
- Dead Mom's Club by Kate Spencer.
I give it one living thumbs up.
- Did you poop your pants?