- October 16, 2017
- 360k Views
DIRECTOR / WRITER: Hannah Levy
WRITER: Josh Brown
PRODUCER: Carolyn Prousky
PRODUCER: Jack Bradley
DP: Matt Sweeney
GAFFER: Matt Krueger
SOUND MIXER: Chris Bennett
October 16, 2017
- Hi, internet! I'm Sara Wiseman.
- And I'm Craig Hall.
As most Aussies know, Australia's in the middle
of a big vote for marriage equality.
- And if you're not from Australia, you're probably thinking
"Jesus Christ, Australia hasn't legalized gay marriage yet?"
- Now this particular vote is taking place via postage.
Some old crones in the government are trying to trick you
because they think you don't know
how to send things in the post.
- So let's send the message:
fuck you, old crones.
- We know that you guys know about the post,
and many young folks have already voted.
But we want to make this a landslide victory
to send the message: this was stupid.
Why is this even a question?
- The old fuck heads in the government
think you're dummies who don't know what paper is.
But just in case, we'll break it down as though
you're the idiots.
- Hundreds of years ago, people used to communicate
by writing their thoughts down with pen and paper,
and sending letters to their parents
and erotic messages to their cousins.
- That system is still in place today,
and here's how it works.
Imagine someone hand wrote an email, placed it
in an envelope, and then stuck it in a box for
a government employee to hand deliver to its destination.
Seems crazy, I know.
- You'll need to use this ancient system
to vote on the marriage equality issue.
You can think of a paper ballot as a tweet
that's made out of trees.
- Imagine your hand is a cursor
and the letterbox is a send button.
- It seems simple enough, but how will you
recognize a letterbox in real life when you see one?
- Here's a few examples.
- Letterbox, letterbox, letterbox, letterbox.
- No. This is a hedge.
- This is not a letterbox.
is a letterbox.
- This is a letterbox!
- Is that what it is? Of course!
- If you're registered to vote,
you received a ballot in the post.
Make sure to return it by November 7th.
If you're not registered, then stop watching
this fucking video and register.
- Send your ballot in and make it clear.
I don't use the post, not even to return things
I ordered online that are ugly or the wrong size.
But I'll send a letter for this.
- Show the old white ball bags that young people
are not dependent on technology to communicate.
- Then after voting, forget about postage altogether,
and share this video on Twitter and Facebook.