Did they really think we wouldn't notice when they switched these actors?
Aunt Viv in The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Let's just start this list off with the one that's at the forefront of our minds: Aunt Viv from Fresh Prince. I've read some insightful articles from 1993, as well as impassioned message board posts from 2006, all trying to get to the bottom of why she left. Does it matter? Does anything matter? What are we doing on this big spinning marble? At the end of the day, all that's important is they took our beloved Aunt Viv and replaced her with someone else. Someone not as good. Yo holmes, back to the casting office.
Fake Kevin Bacon in Tremors 2
In 1996, Kevin Bacon was a little too busy to reprise the role of Valentine McKee in the direct to video (it took directly 6 years to come out) sequel to Tremors. Fred Ward, on the other hand, had a wide open schedule. Instead of having another actor play Bacon's part, thereâs a throwaway line about how Valentine is happy with his love interest from the first film (HUGE PAYOFF FOR FANS OF THE SERIES) and a taxi driver Fred Ward met 5 minutes ago becomes his new sidekick. More than that, this guy just becomes his new Kevin Bacon. They play rock paper scissors together, have a young tremors hunter/old tremors hunter buddy dynamic going- I think thereâs even a scene where Earl says, âDidnât you used to be played by Kevin Bacon?â and his newfound taxi driving sidekick is all, âDonât worry about it. Letâs go blow up huge worms in a Mexican oil field because this movie makes a ton of sense.â
Dick Sargent and Dick York in Bewitched
There are a lot of jokes that you can make here. Most of them are cheap dick jokes. Some of them are expensive dick jokes. Iâll go with a moderately priced dick joke and say that you canât swap out a Dick in the middle of things and expect nobody to notice. According to Wikipedia, Dick York (the original Darrin on Bewitched) hurt his back filming a Western. There were delays on set and re-writes (remember that 6 episode arc where he lays in bed complaining about his back?) until one day he collapsed and was rushed to the hospital. They replaced him the same month with another actor who was also named Dick. You know who the real dicks are? The people who run Hollywood. This guy from Aurora, IL knows what I'm talking about.
Jennifer in Back to the Future 2
If you went to the future in a flying car, thereâs a good chance you wouldnât notice your high school sweetheart was replaced either. For a trilogy thatâs all about continuity, itâs amazing this switcheroo isnât more glaring. To be fair, Martyâs not the only one distracted by the future. As a viewer, who really cares about Jennifer when thereâs flying cars and Jaws 3D? Yes, theyâre in love but they are also in high school. Just like Doc tells them at the end of BTTF 3: âMarty! Youâre both going to get tired of each otherâs shit eventually and want to fuck other people!â or something like that before he takes off in a flying train with his creepy kids.
Ann Veal in Arrested Development
Part of the joy of being an Arrested Development fan is repeat views. Every time I watch the episode where they introduce Ann Veal I find myself saying, "Her?" She doesnât look like the Egg Ann we've come to know and love, and thatâs probably because they changed the actress who played her after just one episode. This might be a genius play by the writers to make us say, "Her?" in our brains every time we re-meet Ms. Veal, but more likely than not it's because the girl who originally played Ann (Alessandra Torresani) was quickly growing up to look like this:
(SERIOUSLY.) and that wasnât going to fit with the character. Instead, the show would be a bunch of people coming up to Ann and saying, âHim?â
- There were some other actor replacements that haven't been mentioned here. During the filming of Back to the Future, Marty McFly was orginally played by Eric Stoltz before Michael J. Fox took over the famous role. Crispin Glover was replaced too by another actor during the filming of Back to the Future too. On the tv show, Roseanne, there was two Beckys. Alicia Goranson (Becky#1) was later replaced by Sarah Clarke (Becky# 2) when she decided to leave the show and go to college to pursue her acting career. There was another Hobie, who played lifeguard Mitch Buchannon's son before the role was taken over by actor Jeremy Jackson.
- Rosanne had to 2 different Becky's
- Rosanne had 2 Different chins
- How funny I was just talking about this!
- How about Jake Gyllenhaal stepping in for Vincent Chase in Aquaman 2?
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq27_MG_U9Y&t=8m55s A nice self-referential programme ending from 1996 - BBC Comedy "Game On" changed one of the actors at the start of Season 2 (the one sitting in the middle in this clip)
- the sister from the 70's show was the worst switch...
- How could you forget the sister from that 70's show?? The new girl was horrible!
- Let's not forget about the mother from Two and a Half Men!
- Maggie Gyllenhaal for Katie Holmes in the "Dark Knight" series.
- 2 Marta's in Arrested Development
- morgan in boy meets world!
- When they change the characters, it always screws up the whole movie/series. Take The Mummy for example the last one was ridiculous cuz Rachel Weiz was perfect for the role but instead they put Mario Bello. I love her but she just wasnt a shoein like Rachel was.
- Ross's first wife in the first season of "Friends" was in one episode and then switched out.
- Rachel Weisz replaced by Maria Bello as Evelyn Carnahan (The Mummy 3), Richard Harris replaced by Michael Gambon as Albus Dumbledore, Jodie Foster replaced by Julianna Moore as Clarice Starling (Hannibal), Brandon Lee replaced by Edward Furlong, Eric Mabius & Vincent Perez as Eric Draven (The Crow movies)
- Jerry's dad in Seinfeld, and Nessa from The Bernie Mac show..correct me if I'm wrong, I didnt research it, just an observation...
- Even though it's already been mentioned, gotta admit, Arrested Development's first Marta, Leonor Varela (BLADE II) was SO hot. I remember being really disappointed when I IMMEDIATELY noticed she wasn't Marta anymore.
- the mother on family matters
- Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen from Full House, worst switch ever! I could tell the difference.
- What about Gus's dad on Psych? The Christmas episodes, look em up.
- The Fresh Prince reference is invalid, because they always poked fun and pointed out their continuity issues... The same goes for the mother/wife, as well as Nicky....
- The chinese waitresses from the office
- British series called "Faith in the Future": Season 1 had Charlie Creed-Miles as "Jools". He was replaced by Simon Pegg for Season 2 & 3.
- what about becky from Rosanne... that was like a big slap in the face.
- I just paid $22.87 for an iPad2-64GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $38.76 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $62.81 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, BidsGet.com