The Elusive Extra Life in Level 1
It looks like it would be easy to grab, but this extra life at the beginning of level 1 is a 50/50 coin toss at best. I spent a childhood trying to perfect my leap, but could never get it consistently. This game gets pretty difficult pretty fast, and you need every life you can get if you want to make it very far. It's like they put this in front of you just to mock your efforts before you can even get started.
Level 3: The Turbo Tunnel
Anyone who clicked this list surely knew the infamous Turbo Tunnel level would be on it. It's not just one of the most frustrating levels in Battletoads, it’s one of the most frustrating things life has to offer. Playing the music from this level around anyone who owned the game has been proven to increase heartrates and risk of a stroke.
The Turbo Tunnel (still)
It deserves another spot on this list because it’s really tough. Your vehicle keeps accelerating and these new walls and hurdles keep popping up. The only way to beat this level was to memorize every single part of its terrible routine, like some game of Simon programmed by the devil. The minds of children should be learning basic math and social skills, not tattooing Nintendo levels directly onto the frontal lobe.
Losing All Your Lives on the Turbo Tunnel Level
You know how some people say there are never enough hours in the day? Well, there really aren’t enough lives in Battletoads to beat the Turbo Tunnel level. You’d lose all your lives, hit a game over screen then get three chances to continue from the beginning. All of these lives combined still weren't enough to beat this thing. What the hell are we doing here? Is this a joke to you, Nintendo? It’s not a very funny joke. I’m trying to play this game now as an adult and it’s SIGNIFICANTLY harder because I don’t have hundreds of consecutive hours under my belt.
Not Having Any Lives for Post-Turbo Tunnel Levels
Even if you did manage to beat the level (which you didn’t, you loser) you would have no lives for the next levels. The game was basically the worst. It was also really fun so, much like dating a good looking person who treats you like garbage, it was tough to put down. Looking back on it, Battletoads was definitely the first (and probably most) abusive relationship I’ve ever been a part of.
Not Throwing Your Controller Through the TV
The most difficult thing about playing the Battletoads game was not throwing your controller through the TV after all the bullshit the game put you through. Anyone who was able to resist the temptation to shatter a screen over this cartridge deserves a medal. If hell exists, it probably is just you playing the turbo tunnel level for the rest of your life. I try to pick up a controller and stop by hell every 5 years for about 2 hours at a time. It’s a nice place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.
- I passed the Turbo level a couple of times, but I never was able to beat the ENTIRE game. After the turbo level was some crappy ice level equally as tough though.
- more true than funny
- Turbo Tunnel was WEAK! not like that fucking Rat Race! what do you mean, "'Toads fall at a consistent rate, Giant Mutant Rat-Fuck has Acceleration do to Gravity on his side!"
- Ice level was also horseshit, not to mention the insane snake level.
- "The minds of children should be learning basic math and social skills, not tattooing Nintendo levels directly onto the frontal lobe" it would most likely stored in the parietal and occupational lobe.
- Thank God for the Game Genie. Cheating? Hell Yeah! With a game this hard it was like a big F you to the creators!
- More proof that hipster nostalgia is a growth industry as was boomer nostalgia once upon a time
- You know what's worse than the Turbo Tunnel level? Playing the Turbo Tunnel level with another person. They fuck up...you both start over. GAWD!!!!! Especially worse if you have "slow" friends. Also, playing with these "slow" friends who don't understand that you can cut my line on the descending levels. STOP TURNING INTO A BELL AND KNOCKING INTO ME!!!!!! I'm surprised that these scenarios weren't on the list.
- I remember beating Battle Toads. One of my favorite games as a kid. Now....I doubt I could stand it for more than a few minutes.
- i beat this game
- Finishing Battle Toads as a child was one of the most epic experiences in my video game playing life! I remember running through the house, the failed cartwheel attempt, and the days of ice pack treatments afterwards. Memories...
- This guy mastered it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-kPP3D27o #childhoodfailflashback
- Getting the 1-Up is easy. Just watch your shadow when you jump and line it up with the extra life's shadow.
- Soon as you said Battle toads I remembered the turbo tunnel. Yea... F that game.
- It is OK. Join the site “ R i c h M ’i n g l e , C o M ” to meet many rich men and beautiful women .
- I PROBABLY LOST 3 YEARS OF MY LIFE TO THIS GAME!!! RAT RACE was the hardest...
- best PAUSE music
- Awesome, when I first looked at the link I thought "6? How did they get past the Turbo Tunnel to reach 6 reasons?! I'm not sure that I ever saw a level beyond it, but if I did it was with Game Genie for sure.
- I remember this exact phenomenon so well made me hate that game so much it still makes me mad to think about it....
- good game
- I beat Turbo Tunnel level. But never the next one...
- In the descent level just before the turbo tunnel, if you kick the crows off the walls over and over before they fall down you get an extra life. If you do this throughout the level you'll go in to the turbo tunnel with 25+ lives. The turbo tunnel is still hard as shit, but you might have 3-4 left for the ice level.
- Greatest game ever!!!!!
- The turbo tunnel? I got pretty good at the turbo tunnel to the point where I could get through it without dying, for years it was always the ice level that killed me. Recently I got pretty far using save states on an emulator but I still could not get past the level with that stupid hand-bike thing.