The whitest of white shows in the 90s, the sitcom added Morris Chestnut as Monica's boyfriend, Russell, during season 5. Russell began the season as a rival cook gunning for Monica's job, only to get in her good graces when Joey vouched for his sandwiches. The character, however, did not test well with the well-established Friends audience and the character was killed off after two episodes.
Many Blossom fans remember how well the show balanced comedy and drama, the latter often stemming from Blossom's brother Tony, who struggled with addiction. In later seasons when Blossom ran out of hats and guys out of her league to date, the show spiced things up and incorporated Tony's former drug dealer who was looking to redeem himself. Played by a young D.L. Hughley, DeShaun was written out of the show after the media criticized his romantic affair with Six.
The Wonder Years
Spurned by Kevin's decision to hang out with Winnie instead of helping him prepare for his Bar Mitzvah, Paul decided to join the Black Panthers in Season four. While the arc only lasted one episode, ABC made the ill-fated decision to alter the classic opening credits in an attempt to attract black viewers.
Mad About You
A massive white hit of the 90s, Mad About You attracted around 10 million white people per episode. Not bad. But when the show ended after its seventh season, NBC rebooted the series, recasting Helen Hunt with Holly Robinson Peete, who was hot off of the successful run of Hanging With Mr. Cooper, which was also a hit amongst white people, despite its all-black cast. Peete and established star Paul Reiser had some chemistry, though fans accustomed to the loving squabbles with Hunt did not take to the new story lines involving Reiser insisting she not bring fully cooked meals into the movie theater. It was canceled after eight episodes.
Despite killing off its worst character, Marissa, The OC struggled to rediscover the magic of its early seasons as it limped into its fourth year. Clearly an attempt to not only remind viewers of Ryan's brooding past but to expand into the black demographic, they added Reginald Vel Johnson to the cast. Johnson, who made his name playing Carl Winslow on Family Matters, was cast as Biggs Peterson, Ryan's tough-talking, but well-meaning, parole officer. The addition was a wild success, but Fox canceled the show soon after, announcing a doomed spin-off for Peter Gallagher's eyebrows.
Added about 1 year ago
802 funny votes
1793 die votes
Patience is overrated...
Patience is overrated...
- is dis real?
- i know friends front and back. who the heck is Russell?!
- The site is called funny or die, its a joke lol omg. People these days are geniuses.
- I think its a joke haha... These can't be true!
- I can recite Friends with my eyes closed. But I don't Remember Morris Chestnut in the show !!
- Remember when Jimmie Walker played the Leonardo Dicaprio's real dad on Growing Pains?
- This is absolutely hilarious! It took me a minute. And almost got me!!
- Hey, remember when Bill Cosby was replaced by Alan Thicke on the Cosby Show? Dummies.
- ohhh. i didn't know about the other show's. well it could have been funny and still true.
- They didn't give it away "when Paul decided to join the Black Panthers"?!! so good...
- The only funny one was the first one. I wish when you vote die, the people who make this actually die.
- Peter Gallagher's eyebrows...Hahahaha!!
- Especially when Morris Chestnut in the FRIENDS pic, looked like that fading picture in Back to the Future!! LOL
- Nobody remembers when a Man Friday (Nipsey Russell) was added to Gilligan's Island.
- Had me second guessing myself on some of these until I saw Carl Winslow in the OC!
- Life is good when we all can sit back laugh at Racism.
- When did Six become a DUDE? and an "aging Lesbian dude" at that? at least i got my weekly Tuesday dose of SuperBoot with this today! #SaveSouthLAnd
- Anyone remembers Tony's black wife on Blossom or Julius Carry in "Two Guys, a girl, and a pizza place"? Those are real examples of whitewashing.
- Out of left field; but still pretty funny.
- THESE PICS ARE ALL FAKE! YOU CAN TELL BY THE PIXELS
- Remember when Whoopi played Sam Malone's Mum?
- Happy Days with Sticks on drums in the band
- Actually, Friends did do this. Her name was Aisha Tyler.
- The OC had a 25 year old Indian woman playing an hispanic highschooler.