Making Mix Tapes
Fixing Cassettes With Your Pen
So you've got your mix tape and you invite your friends over. You announce "Check out this new Naughty By Nature song I recorded from Hot 97," only to press play and hear the worst possible noise. No, I'm not talking about the verse that Vinny raps (that's some Naughty By Nature humor for you). The sound your stereo makes when it eats your tape. The only way to fix it? A pen and tons of patience.
Blowing in Nintendo Cartridges
Has there ever been official proof that this even worked? We can all agree that we all looked like idiots treating Excite Bike like a harmonica, right? No big deal. What I wouldn't give to still be huffing that Contra cartridge.
Then again, I certainly do not miss that friend who would use his lips while blowing on the game. When he came over, he'd be all "I'll fix this" anytime the game froze, only to mouth-rape Mega Man with every slobbery blow.
Searching for the TV GuideÂ
There was once a day where we did not have an "info" button on our remote controls. Instead, we watched the beginning and tried to guess what movie it was. And when we finally realized it was not Major League 2, we would consult our TV Guides. And if we couldn't find it, we would FREAK THE FUCK OUT and blame our siblings for losing it. Yeah, shit was hard back then. And it made us stronger.
Hearing the Dial-Up Modem Sound Like an Insane Person
Writing in Cursive
To be honest with you, I'd be surprised if kids even knew how to hold pencils. Everything's on their texting machines and porn boxes these days. But years ago, when we wanted to look professional, we wrote in cursive. And when we forgot how to write a lower case "f," we just scribbled a print "f" and connected it to the next letter, praying nobody noticed. It was a way of life.
Mocking Your Friends with BeepersÂ
Anybody with a beeper deserved to be mocked. There were a variety of cruel ways to mess with these poor saps, but my personal favorite involved calling said beeper-wearer and leaving the phone number of the girl he had a crush on. The ideal time for this was obviously late at night, when he would undoubtedly rush to the nearest pay phone and call, only to wake up her parents. Never. Got. Old.
Using Pay Phones
Speaking of pay phones...yikes. I don't miss these at all. Kids are lucky they no longer have to rely on owning quarters to make urgent phone calls. Though, they do miss out on freaking out squares by dialing a special number and hanging up twice. Yes, that's how you made pay phones ring on their own. Now you know.
Getting Dysentery (Playing Oregon Trail)
Granted, I haven't been to a school library in years (and it'd be weird if just for the sake of this nostalgia-fest, I just started showing up at schools and inspected the facilities), but I'm guessing most have fully functioning computers filled with high speed internet and tons of RAM. The latter I assume is something every modern child is familiar with and they trade RAM on the playground like it were pogs. "It's Alf. He's back. In RAM form." Anyway, the point is, our computers couldn't do ANYTHING other than give you the opportunity to play the least educational game ever. Kids will never know the satisfaction of Mary getting dysentery and shooting 800 pounds of buffalo, only toâ¦well you know.
Deciding Which Search Engine Best Fit Your Needs
- Dysentery.... omg i always died from that on!!!
- I remember listening to the radio with my finger on the record button......Aiyyyyyyy I'm old.
- Getting up to turn the television on, adjust the volume, or changing the channel. We kids were the remote controls back then.
- bet most of you do not know how to crank a car to start it, or remember pant legs getting caught in bike chain, unfreeze out doors hand pump to get water to make the coffee and warm the water on wood stove to wash up for school you walked 2 miles to.
- Mixtapes. MIXTAPES!!! they still use the word, but do they know that it was once the most romantic gesture you could make!?!
- You can make a list of 11 activities you parents never did when you were kids but my grandparents did.....
- I miss my tapes..
- one of the best articles ive read on the internets. well done.
- And blowing on the NES cartridges added moisture to the terminals, making a better connection. The game slot on the cartridge got worn down from repeated inserting and ejecting.
- oowit! oowit! i experienced 6 of those xD inculding the mixtapes, i once made a mixtape with the clash on side a and billy idol on side b, time and patience...but worth it! xD
- I experienced all of those except Oregon Trail (never even actually heard of it)
- I remember Oregon Trail on the ol' Apple IIe. Good times - good, lonely times in the school library.
- Thanks Gio. I'm on my grandbaby now, probably will never even know about DVD's ;-\
- "It's Alf. He's back. In RAM form." I haven't seen that episode of The Simpsons in years, but I nearly had an asthma attack laughing at that.
- hey!!...in my time calls from a pay phone was a dine....it i guess that's something my grandchildren won't get to experience
- No idea what "Oregon Trail" is. It was probably more in the US or something...