Other Festivals Will Be Finding Ways to Top Coachella
Congratulations to everyone who has tickets to Lollapalooza. There is no doubt its promoters and producers are scrambling to find a way to trump what went down in the desert when the image of a dead icon appeared on stage. I think we're all in agreement that the only resort the staple of 90s rock can do is go Weekend at Bernie's on us with a Nirvana Reunion. Dave Grohl and
Chris Novalsiaklalsd other guy can prop him up while Courtney Love stands offstage screaming something about Jonathan Silverman raping Kurt's memory.
We Will Become Jaded to Bringing The Dead to Life With Holograms
I hate to say it, but once you strip away the novelty of a dead man rapping alongside Snoop Dogg, Tupac's performance was decent at best. Granted, that is irrelevant as we all witnessed a MIRACLE OF BIBLICAL PROPORTIONS as the star of Poetic Justice graced us with his presence. That's the takeaway here.
But as we get more and more dulled to our hologram-filled lives, the novelty will take a backseat to the actual performance. And if that was the case at Coachella, the reviews would have included lines like "2pac seemed completely disengaged with the other performers on stage, barely acknowledging their presence" and "it's like he didn't even show up for hologram rehearsal."
There Will be a Scramble to Figure Out Who Will be the Next to be Hologram'd
Who's it going to be? Otis Redding? Elvis? Whitney Houston? Sarah McLachlin? I know she's not dead, but if there's anyone out there who would abuse the hologram privilege, it would fucking be her. So full of herself, that one.
Speaking of which...
John Lennon* dead? No big deal. Half of Lynyrd Skynyrd gone in a plane crash? No problem! Axl Rose too busy huffing Fribbles at Friendlys to show up at the awards ceremony honoring his entire career? Taken care of. The holograms will completely ruin the novelty of a band reuniting, which is fine if it's the fifth lineup of The Temptations, but I'm still holding out hope for a Candlebox redux and I will be fucking IRATE if that's taken away from me.
*Don't think a Beatles Reunion won't happen. You know Paul's in. And Ringo? That guy would click accept on the evite without even reading it .
Aging and Death Now Mean Nothing
You know the In Memorium montage that's clearly the best part of any award ceremony? Meaningless. (SIDENOTE: Is it a problem that I only associate the pain and loss of death with an emotionally draining slideshow of dead movie stars? No? Great. I'll continue to live my life with no direction or priorities whatsoever. Also, if Mr. Oscar is listening, I'd like to add Abe Vigoda to every year's montage from now on, just to get ready.)
The point is we will never be able to celebrate an artist's life if we're just going to resurrect them with the same technology that Princess Leia used to enlist the help of Obi Wan. And that sucks. Not to get all preachy (I'll leave that for Ms. McLachlin and here three-eyed dogs), but there is something nice about honoring those who have passed. As opposed to making them look like avatars from Guitar Hero
Kurt Cobain joke: Nate Maggio
Added about 1 year ago
971 funny votes
616 die votes
Patience is overrated...
Patience is overrated...
- No Red Dwarf jokes? Not even a Star Trek one? :/
- Holographic Tupac is the greatest thing Hollywood has ever brought us
- Abe Vigoda saves this
- Make a Tv instead I would love to play video games on it =)
- Does that mean Micheal Jackson can come back?
- News flash: Hank Williams Jr. did that about ten years ago with a hologram of his father! The technology is better now of course. But my point is; it's been done before
- And "her" three eyed dogs. so much fail.
- I thought it was amazing! I understand this site has to put a funny spin or be sarcastic about everything, but it brought back one of the greatest musical artist of all time. Most kids only know of Tupac, as I know of Jimi Hendrix. This hopefully opened many minds to find out more about one of the greatest rap artist ever to grace the mic. I am so glad that he was chosen to be one of the first holographic image at a concert venue. Dr. Dre should be proud of what he has done. I am also glad his mother approved.
- Bob Marley
- That was pretty freaking cool!!!
- I just found out Tupac's hologram is doing a workout video.
- Elvis was already a hologram on american idol.
- Abe Vigoda was with me at Lollapalooza, doin' coke in a porta-jon with a guy named "Liver-Flippin' Larry."
- This stupid article should have never been written. This fucker needs to get real, a freaken 2pac hologram was amazing. The detail was exact to Tupac's feature and frame plus he yelled out "Whats up Coachella?!" Thats fucken awesome!! Plus he acknowledged Snoop several times during the performance, once even saying his name and pointing at him. Extend a big "fuck off" to the writer of this article.
- The fact that people accept a hologram as an actual performance just let's me know how far intelligence has fallen. Lip-synching isn't acceptable but a recording/computer animated "toon" is? WTF...
- I hope we'll be able to interact with them at some point, like in Star Trek. :-)
- this shit ain't funny. it's just shit.
- I like most of what you write; but this is quite possibly your worst work yet. You even used the hackneyed crossout device. That hasn't been funny for years. Sorry man, you kind of phoned this one in. Good concept, bad execution, and it bears mentioning that holograms are not an innovation. Have you ever heard of Hatsune Miku or any other vocaloids?
- this is just retarded and unnatural. first off someone shot him for a reason. maybe they didn't want to hear his shit either. maybe it would be diff if jim morrison was the hollogram, but i still agree with the comment " Some nerd on a laptop was playing that toon like a world of warcraft character. " so when everyone is like omg tupac is back... not u should cheer for the nerd and let him have his 15 minutes of fame before he gets shot for being a fuckin retard
- Newsflash, Funny or Die... Nobody Gives a FUCK. #LongLiveTupac
- Most of you are such assholes...think about how awesome this was for the crowd that saw this live, weather it was a hologram, body double, whatever, it was of EPIC proportions...now do one with Biggie and start a hologram east coast west coast battle again!!!
- Who cares, it was still fucking awesome!
- why are there so many ppl hating on this, i got chills watching his performance ad i thought it was fucking awesome. too many bitchass haters though
- When I saw the video I was really impressed. Would love to have been a part of that crowd, being that I never saw Tupac in concert when he was alive this would be a special treat for his fans.