After 61 long years, Godzilla is no longer the monster without a country. He has found a home. After being named the official tourism ambassador in the Shinjuku ward of Tokyo, Godzilla was granted citizenship to the country of Japan. The touching ceremony can be seen here:
The monster, who’s fabled to be a cross between a gorilla and a whale, was awarded a plaque of appreciation by the city of Shinjuku.
The plaque reads:
Address: Shinjuku-ku, Kabuki-cho, 1-19-1
Date of birth: April 9, 1954
Reason for special residency: Promoting the entertainment of and watching over the Kabuki-cho neighborhood and drawing visitors from around the globe
Previous visits to Shinjuku Ward: 3 times; Godzilla (1984), Godzilla vs King Ghidorah (1991), Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)
This is an exciting time for not only Shinjuku and Japan, but for the global network of Godzilla movie lovers, as well. With his new political position and image, here are some upcoming titles that I would suggest for the ever-expanding Godzilla franchise.
Upcoming Godzilla Movies We’re Crossing Our Fingers For
- Godzilla’s Revenge: Justice in the Courts
- Welcome to Shinjuku! Exploring Downtown with Your Host, Godzilla
- Mechagodzilla: False Politics and the Decline of Real Monsters
- Godzilla vs New Komeito Party
- Weird Shinjuku: Spend a day with Godzilla checking out his favorite haunts and the two places he can fit into!
- Monster in the Monarchy
- Citizen Godzilla
- Godzilla vs Japanese Renaissance Party
- A Taste of Tokyo! Godzilla Doesn’t Eat, He is Fueled by Radiation
- Godzilla vs New Party Nippon
- Learn Japanese with Godzilla, a Monster that Cannot Speak!
- Spit Fire! Godzilla’s Dirty Rise in Politics