Comedy is an art form and Gallery1988 and FunnyOrDie are back again to prove it. Friday, March 9th, the art gallery located on Melrose Ave. in Hollywood will open its second annual "Is This Thing On?" exhibit, where 100 artists create paintings, prints, sculptures and one-of-a-kind plush all based on their favorite funny people. Take that, The Guggenheim!
In addition, this year the gallery has commissioned 9 different artists to pay tribute to "Weird Al" Yankovic, the greatest song parodist of all-time, by creating a career retrospective screenprint set, where each chronicle the major moments from the legend's career. CRAZIEST PART - Weird Al WILL HOST OUR OPENING RECEPTION on March 9th, from 7-10 PM at the Melrose location. The show will run through March and be viewable, and purchasable online, at gallery1988.com starting March 10th.
Today we bring you you the first look at the ENTIRE Weird Al screenprint set. Each from the 9 print set, are limited to 200 prints total and will first be available at the opening reception, then online the following day at gallery1988.com.
Fat by Derek Deal
Dare To Be Stupid by Graham Erwin
Smells Like Nirvana by Dave Perillo
UHF by Todd Slater
Amish Paradise by Adam Hanson
Like A Surgeon by Phantom City Creative
Eat It by Alex Pardee
White and Nerdy by DKNG
Poster by Joshua Budich
- i love him sense i was little
- Amish Paradise poster is unlikely. Amish people aren't allowed to get tattoos because to them, it's a sin.
- Some great posters of Weird Al :-)
- No one pointed out Al's humble beginnings in the mail room!!! I'm just sayin'....
- some of these should be made in to tees
- I would get the Smells like Nirvana in a heart beat.