So many of us grew up watching The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, laughing along at the antics of Will and his adopted family. But some time has passed and those innocent days have faded away. And when you break down the storylines, the show was pretty dark.
Here's a run down of the most depressing aspects:
1. Will has no father and a mother who only sees him once a year despite being related to a wealthy, Bel-Air family.
2. Hilary's fiance dies when proposing to her.
3. Despite all his charisma, Will has one friend: a possibly-handicapped vagrant with a medical problem in which is he is unable let sunlight into his eyes.
4. Carlton spends his entire life dreaming of going to Princeton, only to attend a local, state university.
5. Will dominates the high school basketball world, draining shots from half-court and attracting scouts from all over the nation, only to attend the same college as Carlton. His basketball aspirations long gone, he is forced to bus tables at the student center.
7. Uncle Phil employs a servant.
8. Uncle Phil's servant regularly emasculates him in front of his family.
9. Will gets shot, realizes his own mortality, prompting him to rush into marriage. When he finally second guesses it, his estranged mother marries his fiance's father, ruining any glimmer of hope for his relationship.
10. Despite being a successful television personality, Hilary has emotional dependency issues that result in her being unable to move out of her parent's home.
Okay, that's it for now. I'm sure there's plenty more, considering how disturbing this show really was.