We are in the throes of soup season, which can usually be a bland, boring affair. But when you’re cooking with Chef Jeff Goldblum, absolutely nothing can be considered boring!
Chef Jeff is cooking up an amazing soup that’s sure to keep you warm inside until your outside thaws out. Make this soup to impress your date, family, or pets, although we doubt your pets will be that impressed. They drink from the toilet.
INGREDIENTS FOR SOUP:
2 Medium Leeks (Sliced - only use white and pale green parts)
2 Medium Carrots (Sliced lengthwise)
2 Celery Ribs (Sliced)
1 White Onion (Chopped)
4 Cloves Garlic (Minced)
¾ lb potatoes - peeled and diced into ½" cubes - (approximately 2 russet potatoes)1 Large Zucchini (chopped into ¼ “thick slices”)
8 oz Green Beans (sliced into small pieces)
¾ lb Butternut Squash (cut into ½"pieces)
2 Beefsteak Tomatoes (chopped)
1 Cup Private Selection Cavatappi
15 oz (approx. 1 can) of white beans (rinsed & drained)
10 Cups Water
½ Private Selection California Bay Leaf
½ Tbsp Parsley Sprig
1 ½ Tbsp Thyme Sprig
INGREDIENTS FOR PISTOU:
1 cups loose & fresh Basil
3 Garlic Cloves (minced)
1 Cup Private Selection Olive Oil
1 Cup Private Selection Grated Parmesan
1 Beefsteak Tomato (cut into chunks, seeds removed)
Salt & Pepper to taste
● Tie together celery, parsley, thyme and bay leaf using kitchen string - NOT silly string. Although, any string can be silly if you are having fun with it,
● Add water to large pot and bring to a boil.The water, not the pot. That would be too hot.
● Add potatoes, leeks, onion, carrots, squash, white beans & bouquet garni to the pot. Do not listen to the cries of the vegetables! Their sacrifice is your happiness.
● Let simmer on medium heat until beans and squash are tender (approx. 30 minutes). Do whatever you want, no judgement here- who are we, the time police? Just be back in approx. 30 minutes.
● Add green beans, zucchini & cavatappi.
● Let simmer for 15 minutes until cavatappi is al dente. Take a power nap or something. Talk to your stomach about how excited you both are for this soup. Have a speed date with yourself.
● Remove bouquet garni and set aside. Whoever catches the bouquet gets to make this soup next time!
● In mortar and pestle, add basil leaves a handful at a time. Mash with pestle. MASH, MASH WE SAY! AHAHAHAHAHA (the cackle is optional but highly recommended)
● Add garlic, salt, pepper and mash thoroughly. Leave no trace, these spices must pay for their crimes!
● Add 1/3 of tomato and mash. If you’re wearing a fitness tracker all this mashing counts as your daily workout.
● Slowly add grated parmesan and olive oil to make a fluid paste. Don’t leave this lying around, lest your roommates think you were mashing something else in the kitchen.
● Add remaining tomato. No tomato left behind.
● If needed, add additional oil to give a thick sauce texture. The thicker the boye the fuller the belleye!
● Serve with a Baguette and Private Selection Salted French Butter
● Finish the meal with a bowl of Private Selection Ice Cream