In 1989, United Artists released a film that posed one of the oldest theological conundrums known to man - Do all dogs go to heaven?
Burt Reynold's mighty moustache and Dom Deluise's forty foot intestinal tract attempted to placate children with a saccharine story that completely missed the point and pretty much revelled in dog death, a rarity in animated films, at least outside of Brazil. It also involves a mob hit being executed on a dog... The gnarliest film concept since "Ghost dad".
Many have pondered whether or not our canine companions have a soul bestowed upon them, with different outcomes reached. If a dog has a soul, does a cat? Does an embryo? Does an Irish person?
And if they did have a soul, does that grant them immediate access to Heaven, or are they destined to languish in purgatory with all of the unbaptised babies?
Although we are no closer to unlocking this mystery's chastity belt and sipping from it's furry chalice of yeasty wisdom, two churches, one Presbyterian and one Catholic, situated across the road from each other have decided to use a very public forum to debate this age old question.
The opening salvo:
The rather officious retort:
And so the battle is declared:
For the record, what is my personal opinion on whether dog's go to Heaven? Well, Dog spelt backwards is GOD... And that's too big of a cowinkydink for me to dismiss.
What a muffinload of dogwank...
Follow Sean on TWITTER.
- Ahhhh...the joys of religious freedom ;)
- This is good...
- funny...!!! :D
- I know my dogs are there waiting on me .
- love it!
- Who says??
- All those animals are in heaven. That's why it is heaven!!
- good thing there is no heaven
- no such thing as heaven easiest, most logical answer
- At least it is good to see that there is some humor left in religion. Don't know for sure what the answer is but will find out when I finally get to Heaven.
- verrrry cute
- It'd be easier to believe those were real if the letters actually matched the placeholders on the Presbyterian signs. Also, I suppose we're to believe that the photos were taken at the exact same time each day, or within minutes of each other, noting that the lighting and shadows never change from one photo to the next?
- In heaven the dogs get to pay back for nutering them.
- "All rocks go heaven" Epic (but not a win yet)
- All dogs do go to heaven
- This would be funnier if the pictures were PhotoShopped....
- Remember--Your cat decides if YOU go to heaven. No cat? Too bad, Dude.
- Wrat ab out cats? If pet Rocks can go then cats should allowed too. Oh Horses should go also
- Humans are a species of animal, we are not mystical beings. If it bleeds you can kill it. If you kill it, burry it out back. I'm pretty sure a rock doesn't die either? but burry it out back anyways.
- the battle for dogs' entry to heave.
- Oh wow :)
- Existence or otherwise aside, if dogs don't go to heaven who wants to go there anyhow ?
- This was created on a sign generator site. Says-it.com http://www.snopes.com/photos/signs/dogheaven.asp