Life’s simplest pleasures can often be the most rewarding. Here are 10 such moments that should never be taken for granted.
1. Pulling out last year’s winter jacket and finding a $20 bill stuffed inside one of the pockets.
2. That feeling after a good workout when you notice someone has left $800 in unmarked cash inside your locker.
3. Making someone smile by buying them an unexpected gift, however, instead of getting $6 in change, you get $51, because the cashier accidentally handed you back a fifty instead of a five.
4. Leaning in to kiss your sleeping wife on the forehead just before bed and discovering a signed, blank check tucked inside her hair.
5. Jumping into a pool on the hottest day of the summer and finding a wallet at the bottom with $40 in unused Starbucks giftcards.
6. Climbing into a freshly-made bed with brand-new sheets and then waking up the next morning with an allergic reaction so intense you eventually settle out of court with the sheet manufacturer for an undisclosed sum. Later, on your way to buy a celebratory ice cream cone, you find a $10 bill on the sidewalk.
7. Just barely making the yellow light before crashing into an armored truck. The other driver dies instantly. Money is spread out all over the road and there are no witnesses for miles. Just then, your friend Dan sends you that $13 he’s owed you since October on Venmo.
8. Inviting your friends over for a Make-Your-Own-Pizza/Housewarming Party and realizing that your new apartment has a magic oven that turns pepperoni into silver dollars.
9. Pulling your favorite record off the shelf and uncovering your great-great-great grandfather’s will, which lists you as the sole heir to a long-since-forgotten $290 million macaroni fortune.
10. Strangling a magician to death and finding a quarter behind their ear for once.