47 Republican senators sent a letter to Iranian leaders warning that if they reach an agreement with President Obama, the next Republican president will simply negate it with a simple stroke of a pen. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, however, pointed out that the U.S. is required “to fulfill the obligations they undertake with other states and may not invoke their internal law as justification for failure to perform their international obligations.”
This isn’t the first time Republicans have failed to grasp constitutional law. Here are some infamous examples of the GOP’s failure to read up on the nation’s legislation.
- You can’t claim “Opposite Day” as a legal argument against The Affordable Care Act.
- If President Obama leaves his Oval Office chair without calling fives, it doesn’t make you president when you take his seat.
- Black people can vote.
- House majority is decided by number of representatives and not by gavel size.
- Wine isn’t just “Gay beer.” (Not technically a law, but worth noting)
- Ties in the Senate are decided by the Vice President and not by flipping a nickel from 1862 “The last good year.”
- 1862 was not, “the last good year.”
- Lynyrd Skynyrd does not have an honorary vote in the Supreme Court. Also, Lynyrd Skynyrd is not a person.
- Bullets are not birds, and therefore not allowed on the endangered species list.
- You can’t win elections simply by claiming that you“couldn’t read” all of the votes that were cast for your opponent (2000 presidential election being an exception)
- Airplanes are not “Jesus Cars” and as a result airlines are not exempt from taxes for religious purposes.
- Women can vote.
- If the president is asleep, this does not mean you can pass a low without the threat of veto.
- There are no laws regarding “Which hats are dumb.”
- If both the president and vice president are killed, the next in line to be president is the speaker of the house, and not, “Christian (Not Jewish) God.”
- If you say Ronald Reagan’s name into a mirror three times, he will not appear.
- People are allowed to have long hair.