9. They are always set in Philadelphia or a planet that Will Smith is stranded on with his son that is an even worse place than Philadelphia
8. He works with actors twice, until they get wise and beg off before being subjected to a third.
7. There is always a widowed spouse or a dysfunctional marriage… or Samuel L. Jackson.
6. The most important item to the plot is colored red (in case you’ve recently had a massive head wound and didn’t get it).
5. Fluttering curtains. Ooooooh, scary!
4. He is personally responsible for Joaquin Phoenix still having a career.
3. There’s always a creepy door. Or a creepy basement. Or a creepy door that leads to a creepy basement.
2. Glass breaks? Something horrible is about to happen!
1. They always have a twist in the end or a surprise ending… that you figured out 10 minutes into the movie.