When you're growing up, it's easy to misinterpret song lyrics. Your critical thinking skills aren't fully developed, and you're not yet proficient in using context clues. You also lack the self awareness to consider you might be wrong about something.
Listed below are five songs that I misinterpreted as a kid. Perhaps you made the same mistakes I did.
1) Aerosmith - Dude Looks Like A Lady
I was positive the lyrics were "Do me like a lady." And, according to Google, a whole lot of other people did as well. But, even though I thought that's what Steven Tyler was saying, I had an even further misinterpretation. I figured the song was obviously written to mean that he wanted to be treated like a lady. But the thing I always imagined when I heard the song was Tyler breaking his penis off like a twig and then asking someone to have sex with him in what was now a freshly made hole. I know that's disturbing. I was disturbed whenever I thought about it. But, I'm proud of myself for having such a layered and complex interpretation of an Aerosmith song at the age of twelve.
2) The Gin Blossoms - Hey Jealousy
Totally thought this was a song about Chelsea Clinton. I still sing it that way in my head.
3) TLC - Waterfalls
I actually never paid any attention to this song. But, a friend of mine named Zan informed me that she and her friends would sing "Go, go, Jason Waterfalls!" along with TLC anytime it came on the radio. They thought it was a song cheering on a runner named Jason Waterfalls. They really wanted Jason Waterfalls to win the race.
4) The Luniz - I Got Five On It
For this one, I assumed they were talking about getting a high five for doing a good job.
"How'd you do at your soccer game today?"
"Very well! I scored a goal, and everyone was really excited. I got five on it from my coach!"
And for the part where they say "messin' with that indo weed," I thought it was "nothin' with that in the week." Which, you know... makes no sense whatsoever.
5) Blackstreet - No Diggity
I thought Blackstreet was thrilled at the idea of a woman with no dignity because they could take advantage of her. I also thought the guys in Blackstreet were jerks. And, as for the "I got to bag it up, bag it up" part... I was under the impression this was a pro-condom message. I mean, if you're trawling the streets for women with no dignity, a condom is a must. Actually, I'm still not entirely positive that that's not what "bag it up" refers to.
- What about the song tiny dancer? I always thought it said, "Hold me closer Tony Danza."
- Def Leppards "Pour some sugar on me" for a long time in my buddy's head was "Pull that Cougar Off Me"
- i mistook the song "right back to where we started" by maxine gayle as "we gotta get right back to winston farm." i have no idea where winston farm is... but she must really like it there.
- Hmmm....Noah must have been one "Special" kid....none of those are funny and, um, how do you get lyrics wrong when they are in the title of the song? Dude....
- "Country Grammar (Hot Shit)" by Nelly...I'm younger than you people lol. (19)
- "blinded by the light" i thought they said, "wrapped up like a douche in the middle of the night"
- I thought that CCR "Bad Moon Rising" actually said "there is a bathroom on the right".
- I thought Mick Jagger was singing "I inject" on "Angie", and Elton John was singing about Bennie from the Jets having "electric boobs".
- 'Jackie and Diane' by John Cougar.." changes come around real soon make us woman and men" will always be "changes come around real soon naked woman in bed"
- As a third grader I thought Def Leopard "Pour some sugar on me" was "Awesome Junior and me".
- are you telling me it isn't "sitting on a cock cuz i'm gay"?
- Since Def Leppard's been mentioned a few times: guess what "ain't no love" sounds like to me, since i heard about that apparently common misinterpretation.
- As a kid my mother thought "dirty deads, done dirt cheap" was "derty cheese and the thunder chief"(ACDC)
- Juke Box Hero, my kids thought it was Juice Box Hero.
- @ craig...isnt that what it says??!!?? Hmmm.I thought that too til now!
- Dude Looks Like A Lady is about Vince Neil of Motley Crue
- i thought the lyrics to the bee gees more than a woman was "one handed woman" one handed woman to meeee. it made that scene in short circuit weird.
- Van Halen is overrated
- I always thought that "More Than a Women," was "Bald Headed Woman." So, little five year old me would run around, singing, "Bald headed woman! Bald headed woman to meeee!"
- I thought for the longest it was "budweiser" instead of "backslider" (Toadies "Backslider")
- "They got one thing in common, They got the fire down too low." Yeah, I always thought, "Why don't they just turn up the fire?"
- i thought it was hey Jessie!!
- Go Go Jason Waterfalls. HA!!!!!!!!!
- i mistook red hot chili pepper's lyric, "with the birds i'll share" as "with the blood i shed" when i actually thought about it, that lyric never made sense the way i was saying. ever.