Ah, going to church in the ’90s! Remember that? If you were one of those kids who went to church in the ’90s, then you definitely know what we’re talking about! And only a true ’90s church kids will understand the following 20 memories.
1. Palm Sunday
There’s no way you were a kid and no way you were a kid in the 90’s if you didn’t have Palm Sunday at least once a year. It was always the start of Holy Week.
2. Those clunky communion wafers!
Could the wafers be any bigger? Get a smaller wafer!
3. The pews - P.U.!
What 90s kid doesn’t remember the smell of Gushers, Dunkaroo icing, and those varnished wooden prayer benches? I guess they’re called pews for a reason - because they stink!
4. The Apostle’s Creed
And no, we don’t mean Creed the “Photograph” band!
5. Father Harold’s backrubs
Could they get any more 90s?
6. Incense everywhere!
“Excuse me, Father? Do you mind putting that thing out, I’m gonna have to air this sweater out for weeks!”
7. Mrs. Truffet’s out-of-tune organ that she played from way up in that dusty attic room
Amazing gr-creaaak, does that ring any bells!?
8. Blowing on your Bible to get it to work
In the days before the internet, somehow everyone separately figured out this cool trick!
9. Having to drop off your Blockbuster rental before Midnight Mass
Late fees, amirite?
10. Going up for seconds at the church potluck and finding out all the Crystal Pepsi is gone!
We think Crystal Pepsi could use a resurrection.
11. Going shopping with your mom to pick out your new Easter outfit.
Um, mom, please buy me the outfit that makes me look like NSYNC’s Chris Kirkpatrick with dem braids!
12. Convincing your church choir to perform the final number from Sister Act 2: Back in the Habit
But then ruining it by acting up like Buzz in Home Alone 2: Lost in New York.
13. Hoping that Jesus could be more like JTT
Not as short tho!
14. John 3:16
This verse was on all the coolest Pogs!
15. Peace Be With You
If you couldn’t get all the way across the church to shake someone’s hand a genial wave or even a flirty peace sign did the job!
16. Parking in the church parking lot.
Mom was always trying to get you out the door because if you were late, and it was always like WHERE were you going to park! LOL!
17. The only clock in the church was in the back and was tough to see!
Did you wanna know how long until mass was over? Yes. Was the Church gonna make that easy for you? Not so much…
18. You dipped your fingers in holy water and made a sign of the cross when you walked in.
It’s just what everyone was doing back then.
19. Lighting prayer candles
I was just a kid! My prayers must have sounded so dumb and unoriginal FML.
20. Having an argument with your parents because you don’t see why you should get confirmed in an institution that doesn’t support gay rights.
Now I argue about what to watch on Netflix!
21. Believing in God
Whoa, who WAS that guy? That was crazy how much we talked about him and he wasn’t even around.
Can you think of any 90s Church Kid memories we missed? Let us know!